- you wake up thinking about mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy (truth: it happened to me this morning).
- your food is always eaten cold.
- your shoebox-sized kitchen is transformed into a photo kitchen studio, complete with tripods, cameras, props and chairs.
- you go to the grocery store approximately 55 times a week
- you break camera lenses in your oatmeal.
- you never leave the house without your camera, lenses, snacks and wallet
- the words vps, dedicated server, permalink, backlink and meta are all part of your every day language.
- you spend thirty minutes after cooking just “searching for the light”.
- you stop trying to explain to strangers what it is exactly that you do, and start just saying that you’re a writer.
- your conversations with family members sound like the following:
me: I write a blog. It’s my job. I…I cook a lot.
estranged random uncle: a blog?? you mean like a MYSPACE page? I had one of those once.
me: (sigh) No, Uncle Jimmy…a blog. Like, I bake things and then write about them on the internet?
estranged random uncle: Oooh, you mean like a website on the INTERNET! You’re on the internet??? Will you take my photo and put it on your BLOG?
Honey (calls to wife), I’m gonna be famous all over the internet!
….(sigh) cue to vacate the premises