Today is my birthday!
A couple months ago during one of my yoga training days, all thirteen of us sat in a circle and wrote down anonymously on a piece of paper something we would have liked our formal self to know. It could be whatever. Then, we put the scraps of paper in a bowl and one at a time, picked a piece and whispered the sentence into each other’s ears while the others sat with eyes shut in the circle. No one knew what your sentence was, but when it was whispered into your ear, it had significant meaning. It was a very powerful experience (I probably did an awful job explaining it—you’d have to have been there to really understand).
Anyway, since that day I’ve thought a lot about the exercise along with other things I would have told my former self…things I know today but didn’t know then. Things I wish I would have known. Things personal to me but just might apply to you, too.
Here we go!
1. Life is too short not to eat dessert every day.
2. You don’t have to like something just because it’s considered “cool” for a day.
3. Spend time every day in the Word…it makes a difference, really.
4. Be nice to your mom—she’ll be your best friend one day.
5. Be really nice to little brother…you really don’t know how long you’ll have him for.
6. Those amazing red heels? Yeah. Buy those.
7. No one cares what size your skinny jeans are except for you.
8. Don’t take anything personally.
9. Even though trashy magazines might say you should “date someone totally wrong for you at least once”, you really don’t need to do that. It’s a total waste of time.
10. If a guy wants to be with you, he will make it happen. If he doesn’t, move on. Seriously.
11. On that note, wait for him to call you.
12. Start a savings account.
13. Always keep a pair of flats and a fleece in your trunk…just in case.
14. Back up your computer.
15. Get closer with your grandparents and listen (really listen!) to their stories, they have lived waaaaaay longer than you.
16. You’re the one who is in charge of making things happen for your own life. Get on it!
17. Don’t whine. If you don’t like something about your life, change it.
18. Hair grows.
20. Be patient with your parents, they love you so much.
21. Tough times don’t last but tough people do <—cliche and true.
22. It’s a really good thing to be picky.
23. Sometimes friends just move on, drift apart and go separate ways. You don’t have to save every friendship if it’s not worth saving.
24. On that note though, make time for your girlfriends. Hug often.
25. Smoking cigarettes will absolutely not make you look cool….only stupid.
26.You are beautiful just the way you are.
27. Cool kids wear glasses.