I’ve been meaning to write a post on my favorite kitchen tools forever. It’s probably the number one most requested post I get and I’m just sorry it’s taken me this long to do!
To start, I’m a very firm believer that you don’t need to spend a ton of money on kitchen equipment. Sure, I have a Kitchen Aid (I dropped that thing on the floor two days ago and it still works!) but as tools go, you can get by being quite thrifty. What I’m saying is that a peeler is a peeler. You can either go to Target and get one for $2.99 or you can spend $20 at a cooking store. What would you do?
Here are my favorites and the ones that I use practically every day!
1. A silpat. Kiss spending money on rolls and rolls of parchment paper goodbye, and just invest in two quality Silpats. They’re non-stick and work wonders for practically anything (pizza rolls, anyone?). This is probably the one thing I use the most—every time I bake!
2. A microplane. Zest and grate practically anything with this handy dandy little tool. I use mine for Parmesan cheese, garlic, and lemon zest most often. It comes in very handy when you’re in a rush and don’t have time to mince a bunch of garlic!
4. A sifter. I use this not only to dust powdered sugar on my cakes, but also to strain things like lemon curd!
5. Large and small rubber spatulas. I use mine for everything, especially the small one!
7. A large whisk. It may seem obvious, but you really need a large whisk in your kitchen. Great uses for a whisk include beating egg whites for macarons, scrambling eggs and making creamy citrus curd.
If you have a request for a post you’d like to see in the future, email me and I’ll do my best to get it up! Thanks so much for reading every day—your comments mean the world to me!