Breakfast/ Lunch

A Whole Different Time Zone

I made it!

Wow…….I don’t even know where to begin!!! My body clock is so screwy right now, I feel like its 10:00 at night! I probably fell asleep last night around 10:30 and then woke up at 2:00 (I always wake up before my alarm!) and couldn’t go back to sleep so I just laid there. When 3:15 rolled around, I jumped up, took a hot shower, got dressed and was off. I felt like I was in the twilight zone driving down the street at 3:30 in the morning, especially when I passed drunk people walking home from the bars! Their day was just ending and mine was getting started. Even though I was tired, I couldn’t help but think that it was sorta cool, doing something that no one else is doing and I felt like I was a super important person like a doctor going to work in the middle of the night.

On my way to work I ate half this larabar and sipped on hot water (no coffee!):


I was worried I would be super hungry since I always am when I wake up, but really, I was fine and didn’t even want to eat any of the bar. I knew that I would start feeling sick though if I didn’t eat and just went straight to work so I forced down half. I ate the other half probably around 5:00 when I finally started getting a little hungry.

At 7:30 I took a half hour break and headed upstairs to make the bowl of oat bran that I had so diligently packed last night!


Here you have a half cup of oat bran, some walnuts, cinnamon, brown sugar, cloves and ginger. I also packed a thermos with a cup of skim milk to cook the oat bran in. It was easy and delicious! I also had a small cup of chai.

Since I only got about four hours of sleep, today was sort of a whirlwind. There were actually a bunch of people in the store at 4, just starting their day! Strange to think about, isn’t it?? When I got there we immediately started to pull out sheet trays with frozen cookie dough and pastries made the night before so they could come to room temperature and we could bake them off. And then we started the bread. This was NOTHING like I have ever done before……..this was massive production of bread! I mean, loaf after loaf after loaf after loaf. And it’s all done the old school method with a regular scale (not digital) and starters made the night before.

We baked sourdough, rye, rye sourdough, challah, french, italian, cuban, hamburger buns, pizza dough, pitas, 100% whole wheat, sunflower flax, 7 grain.………..the list goes on. And every ingredient is 100% organic and all natural. No trans fat or ingredients you can pronounce here! Pretty amazing when you think about it.

I got a second wind around 8:30 and then started to crash around 10:00. When I got out at 12:30, I drove straight to Pita Pit across the street and got a massive turkey on whole wheat pita with hot sauce, honey mustard, jalapinos, pickles, banana peppers, lettuce, olives and feta:


And then I crashed. Well only for an hour. I wanted to sleep and never wake up but my mom, who was a flight attendant for 15 years and knows a thing or two about irregular sleep patterns and early mornings, told me that she would wake me up at 2:00 because if I slept any longer I wouldn’t fall asleep tonight. So, she shut my black out curtains and I pulled on my sleep mask and passed out. 2:00 came way too fast.

It was definitely hard getting myself up, but my lovely brother ran me a bubble bath and after bathing and changing I felt sooooo much better. Granted, I’m still exhausted and feel like its midnight (and its pouring outside so that doesn’t help), but at least I’m among the living now.

So, all in all, I would say the first day went well. I really like my manager and the people I work with and you can’t deny how nice it is to get off work for the entire day by 1:00. I could never make it sitting at a cubicle all day!! I really have to give it some time to get my body adjusted to the new schedule but I think it will work out pretty well. And, I made it today without a single drop of caffeine! That’s pretty amazing actually.

But I have NO energy for yoga today. Nope. Nothing. I’m sitting in my sweats on my bed and cannot move a muscle. My mom is making me an early dinner tonight and I hope to be asleep by 8. What am I, 75?!

I hope your Tuesday is going well—-I’ll see you for the early bird special tonight!

You Might Also Like

  • Maggie
    January 13, 2009 at 1:45 pm

    Wow, that sounds so awesome. I mean, it’s hard, but what a great experience. Good luck this week!

  • justjen
    January 13, 2009 at 1:49 pm

    Wow, Jenna, first off, congrats on your first day. Second, you have such a terrific family! You are blessed to have them in your life, and I know you appreciate them. We need a store with all organic bread near me! Is where you work only in Florida?

    Good luck the rest of the week!

  • Kristin
    January 13, 2009 at 1:51 pm

    So glad your first day went well- I’m sure it will take a while to get used to, but you seem to have a good schedule set up! I’m so jealous you get to bake bread all morning!! Have a nice night =)

  • brandi
    January 13, 2009 at 1:54 pm

    Glad to hear you had a good first day!

    All that bread sounds amazing 🙂

  • Betsy in Pgh
    January 13, 2009 at 1:57 pm

    I remember one summer in high school I interned for our local TV station’s morning show and I had to be there at 4 am. It was brutal, especially when school started up and I had to go there afterwards. My last 4 am day was the day of senior year homecoming. That was rough!

  • Rachel
    January 13, 2009 at 1:57 pm

    Rock on you! Your body will adjust, I promise. I had to do the same schedule, but as a waitress back in the day…

  • lauren
    January 13, 2009 at 1:57 pm

    Sounds like such a cool job. I am currently sitting in a cubicle and wishing I had your job!

  • Lindsey (Mrs. LC)
    January 13, 2009 at 2:00 pm

    Sounds like your first day went well! Everything will be smooth sailing once your body adjusts. 🙂 Enjoy the rest of your afternoon!

  • Beadie
    January 13, 2009 at 2:05 pm

    Sounds like a great first day even though you had such little sleep.

    I am LOL at early bird special! 🙂

  • Jenna 2
    January 13, 2009 at 2:07 pm

    glad to hear you first day went so well!! sounds like an awesome job!! most def beats sitting in a cubicle for 8 hours :-/

  • yolie
    January 13, 2009 at 2:08 pm

    Well done Jenna, you made it through the first day, that’s an amazing achievement! Its just this adjustment period that’ll be a little rough and then you’ll be fine 🙂 I remember from experience, you learn how to pace yourself and adapt and stuff. Have a lovely sleep and a great day tomorrow! Best wishes! xyx

  • K
    January 13, 2009 at 2:08 pm

    Congrats on making it through the first day!! Your family sounds so nice to help you out like they have been 🙂

    Get some rest tonight!

  • Sarah W.
    January 13, 2009 at 2:10 pm

    Wow – I’m happy your first day went so well! Thats got to be tough but I’m sure your body will get used to it after a while!

    Yum on the pita pit – your sammich made my lunch look unappetizing!!

    What a nice brother you have!!! Such a sweet family <3

  • carolinebee
    January 13, 2009 at 2:14 pm

    HOLY crap….that is so amazing what you’re doing! Just the fact that you aren’t bitching about your new schedule is really inspiring to me. You are just sacking up, planning it out and making the best! Thank you sooo much for being so honest and sharing all your feelings and plans 😀 I’m trying to figure out a new school/job/life schedule and it’s so comforting to see someone else adapting to change and making everything work!! Good luck it sounds like it will be great!

  • Nicole
    January 13, 2009 at 2:14 pm

    Wow, it seems like a really crazy day! Congrats on making it through!!!

  • Allison K.
    January 13, 2009 at 2:16 pm

    Congrats on your first day. Wishing you plenty of sleep tonight!

  • Colleen
    January 13, 2009 at 2:22 pm

    Congrats on making the best of your tiring first day! You are such an inspiration!! 🙂

    Can you pleeeeeeaaaaassseee tell me what brand of Oat Bran you buy? Thank you!

    • jenna
      January 13, 2009 at 3:17 pm


      Its just plain ol’ Quaker 🙂

  • jenns
    January 13, 2009 at 2:24 pm

    Hey Jenna! So glad your day went well. I have a question for you, and I am sorry to ask this since you’re so tired, but you are so good at menus and have experience. I need your help. My husband and I are friends with couples and the last month or so we have rotated cooking at each other’s homes….. the first time we had a nice fresh salad with bleu cheese dressing, filet mignon, mashed potatoes and grilled mushrooms, another evening we had a wonderful pork shoulder with veggies, saffron rice, and bread. and then the last dinner we had pan fried salmon with this amazing black bean salsa and brown rice. I want to host this weekend and I want the menu to be amazing. Could you please help? I am a good cook but I am lost. I was thinking about maybe something with parmesan risotto? and a dessert? THANK YOU! 😀

  • claire
    January 13, 2009 at 2:28 pm

    Nope, not old just getting up early! When I was on surgery I would regularly go to bed by 8:30 or 9. I just makes your day so much better when you get 7-8 hours of sleep…I actually prefer 8-9!

  • fitforfree
    January 13, 2009 at 2:30 pm

    glad your first day was a success! sleep well tonight!

  • Becca A
    January 13, 2009 at 2:32 pm

    Yay for a great first day! I find going in somewhere so early makes me feel sort of important too. Most people will hear the time you wake up and just get wide eyed.

  • haya
    January 13, 2009 at 2:34 pm

    that’s fantastic that it worked out so well!! i would love to start work early and be done by lunch time. i come to work as early as i can here in the office (which is like 7 or 7:30 – earlier than that would be a bit ridiculous) but it would be awesome to start a bit earlier and win the rest of the best part of the day to do my own stuff.

  • Victoria
    January 13, 2009 at 2:36 pm

    I’m so impressed by you Jenna. And doing all of that WITHOUT caffeine?!? Awesome! 🙂 I hope you get more adjusted over the next week.

  • Moran
    January 13, 2009 at 2:36 pm

    Well I am sure your body will get adjusted in no time! I loved reading your recap ! Glad it all went well!

  • polly
    January 13, 2009 at 2:40 pm

    way to go, sweetie! First day down! You will get used to your schedule before ya know it! and yes.. you are 75! 😉 hehe Just kiddin. I LOVE your schedule!!! I’m an ol’ fart myself! hehe XXOO

  • Kristie
    January 13, 2009 at 2:40 pm

    Wow, I pride you on being able to make it through the first shift fairly well when starting at SUCH an early time when you’re body isn’t adjusted to it yet. That must have been TOUGH. I’m sure within a week’s time it’ll be no prob at all though. Glad to hear you seem to like it so far! Soooo much bread making going on. Mmm fresh bread.

  • Shelby
    January 13, 2009 at 2:40 pm

    I’m so glad you had a good first day!!!
    Thats a lotta bread =P

  • K
    January 13, 2009 at 2:45 pm

    PS. love your list of favorite products of ’08!

  • Alyssa
    January 13, 2009 at 2:53 pm

    Aren’t moms awesome 🙂

  • hk
    January 13, 2009 at 2:55 pm

    hooray! sounds like a success!! that’s really great, congrats! get some rest, too 🙂

  • Julie
    January 13, 2009 at 2:58 pm

    Jenna – how exciting for you to start this job! Way to go trying to get adjusted – I’m jealous of the job too, not that I know how to bake – but I’m stuck in a cubicle and hate it!

    Jenns – what about a spinach lasagna or a pasta dish of some sort? sounds like a change of pace from the other meals, and you could do a ceasar salad and garlic twists or something? with some wine – yum! and look up rachael ray’s tiramiso recipe for dessert? just an idea…

  • Sarah (Tales of Expansion)
    January 13, 2009 at 3:00 pm

    You survived!! And yay for supportive families — somehow those moms always know what to do 🙂

  • ashley (sweet & natural)
    January 13, 2009 at 3:10 pm

    Congrats on a successful first day!

  • Ashley
    January 13, 2009 at 3:12 pm

    congrats on making it through day 1! things can only get easier from here 🙂 it will take some getting used to, but soon it will seem normal for you. you’re so lucky youre not in a cubicle, you’ve got a lot of us readers jealous 😛 hope day 2 goes well tomorrow, and hope you can get enough rest tonight

  • VeggieGirl
    January 13, 2009 at 3:46 pm

    WHEW!! What a workday – glad it went well, but I hope you can catch up on zzz’s!!! Take care, girl 🙂

    **Just as a heads up: I will not be able to comment on blogs as often now, during this semester, due to work overload (I’m stressed already) – PLEASE know that I’m still loyally reading, but just won’t have time to comment. I hope you understand!!

  • Mel
    January 13, 2009 at 3:52 pm

    Glad to hear you had a good first day. Don’t worry, you’ll adjust soon enough to your schedule. The first week is always tough!

  • alice
    January 13, 2009 at 4:03 pm

    hi jenna!
    a first comment here from a longtime reader!
    congrats on the first day. i used to open at starbucks & would be amazed at the people waiting patiently by the door wide awake @ 5:30 a.m. for some coffee or tea. good luck getting adjusted but once you do i think you might like knowing you got so much accomplished by noon when others are just starting!

  • Kelly
    January 13, 2009 at 4:04 pm

    The thought of baking bread for a living sounds fantastic, although I don’t know if I could get used to the irregular hours. I’m sure before long you will be into the routine though. How many people are working in the bakery when you are there?

  • BridgetP
    January 13, 2009 at 4:22 pm

    Your first day sounds great! And I’m sure you’ll sleep like a rock tonight, which will make tomorrow even better 🙂

  • BethT
    January 13, 2009 at 4:23 pm

    After a few days on schedule you’ll be fine! Great first day.

  • seelivelee (for the love of peanut butter)
    January 13, 2009 at 4:50 pm

    yayyy jenna what an EXCITING day u had!! congrats on everything going pretty smoothly… 🙂

  • Sarah (lovINmytummy)
    January 13, 2009 at 4:55 pm

    You’ll be back in the swing of things in no time! You are lucky you have such a good mommy looking out for you. Hope tomorrow is just as successful!

  • Marissa
    January 13, 2009 at 5:02 pm

    Sounds like a great job! I am sure you’ll adjust in to time 🙂

  • Brittany
    January 13, 2009 at 9:13 pm

    So glad that your first day went well!!!!

  • CK
    January 13, 2009 at 10:04 pm

    hey jenna! thanks for being such a great inspiration, especially with yoga which i have gotten back into thanks to you! can you recommend a good yoga mat? xoxo

    • jenna
      January 14, 2009 at 3:03 pm


      I have a Manduka mat and love it. They are a bit pricey though….I got mine for Christmas one year. I recommend if you don’t want to splurge by getting one now, just go to target and get one. I had a yoga mat from target and it saw me through a good 4 years of practice. Here’s the manduka website:

  • sweet and fit
    January 13, 2009 at 11:55 pm

    …wait a second! you are a super-important person! bakers have very important jobs, I’m also going to school for pastry arts… thats one thing that really interested me in your blog, how you are dedicated to health/nutrition but still have an appreciation for pastries. =) congrats on your first day!

  • Joanne
    January 14, 2009 at 9:23 am

    A day late on the comment.. oh well. But congrats on your new job and first successful day. The smell of all that bread baking must have been glorious!
    Maybe you deserve a massage with a wonderful foot rub (if you’re not too ticklish). That’s a great way to relax and to pamper your self. Best of luck as the days (nights?) go on.

  • runjess
    January 14, 2009 at 10:04 am

    I work a 9-5, but I have a long commute and have to run before dawn if I want to get it done (in the winter anyway). No one else is out there and I totally feel like I’m in the twilight zone. But you’re right, it does make you feel special.